Art teacher. Learning with technology. Digitally creative.
Blog posts about art education, my creative use of technology, eco/green design and use of multimedia. This is my personal blog, started in 2006 as a reflective practice on my teaching, use of technology and creativity. Content on this site can sometimes been found elsewhere on the web; in the form of guest posts, school web sites and other site addresses as I have moved the blog from host to host.
I have been teaching art and design for over 20 years and occasionally other subjects too. I am passionate about art and design, lens-based art (photography) as well as video production and kids’ creative broadcasting. The archive of innovative work I was involved with can be found in part here.
I completed an MSc in Multimedia/E-learning in 2010. My e-book on video in education is available to download: videocasting-to-the-natives.
If you would like to share what I’m up to, follow me on twitter: @damoward.
When not online, drawing/painting or at school, these other activities dominate my time and often that of my family:
- Reading – I tend to have several books on-the-go at once, some on a Kindle others are paperbacks. I like to read a non-fiction book at the same time as something more lightweight. I used Shelfari extensively and intend to set up a Goodreads account one day.
- Walking – During my teens/20s/30s I would spend lots of time in the Lake District, North Wales, the Pennines and the Peak District. I took groups of eager school kids up mountains before I decided to teach and only actively stopped the challenging walks when my kids were growing. Walking and thinking go hand-in-hand so I usually walk between 3 and 8 km daily. I’m a conversational walker but can go it alone, and I am certainly not a jogger or runner although I walk quite quickly. The Camino de Santiago is on my bucket list.
- Photography – Looking at life through a frame of colour, contrasts, shape and geometry is practising looking as an artist and I am as passionate about working with a camera as I am with pen, pencil and paint. I deleted my Flickr account as I don’t like to share my imperfect creations and I am not talented enough to worry anyone on 500px!
- Meditation/Mindfulness – I developed a “Beginner’s Mind” at University over 25 years ago and I am still, in essence, a beginner. I lead mindfulness sessions with my year 7s as lesson starters in the Take 5/Street Yoga tradition and took up regular stretching-Yoga for back pain a few years ago. Tara Lee’s DVDs are a bit too challenging but the app Sworkit I use daily.
- Growing Vegetables – I like to be outside the house in fair weather but don’t have green fingers or the necessary motivation for flower beds and shrubs. I like to grow just enough vegetables to get a buzz out of having nurtured from seed to the table. I have fruit trees, a greenhouse for tomatoes, peppers, marrows and courgettes and a small kitchen plot for Calabrese broccoli, potatoes and runner beans. I have focussed recently on varieties not available to buy in supermarket groceries, such as purple potatoes, yellow tomatoes and candy-swirled beetroot.
Other than these, I enjoy attempting to cook and more often than not, good TV and movies.
damoward.info by Damo Ward is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://www.damowardblog.wordpress.com
Standard Legal Disclaimer
All opinions expressed in the articles here are those of myself and not of any other organisation, including my employers or any other individual. Opinions expressed in comments are those of the commenter and may be moderated.